CHUM is people of faith working together to provide basic necessities, foster stable lives, and organize for a just and compassionate community.
CHUM provides core social safety net programs which include emergency food, shelter, advocacy, and outreach to over 7,000 hungry, homeless and low-income people each year. Housing advocates and street case managers provide stabilization services through case management programs for homeless or imminently homeless families and single adults. CHUM's congregational outreach and community organizing efforts center on social justice issues relating to homelessness, poverty and employment.
CHUM programs are divided into three areas.
Stabilization Services include CHUM's Drop-In Center, Nurses Clinic, Emergency Shelter for adults and families, Transitional and Permanent Supportive Housing, Case Management for housing guests, Homeless Outreach, Income Evaluation Services and CHUM Employment Services.
Distributive Services are provided through Emergency Food Shelves in downtown Duluth, Lakeside and West Duluth and include the distribution of food, contributed household goods, and, at the start of each school year, K-12 backpacks.
Outreach and Organizing Services includes Congregational Outreach and the CHUM Church inclusive ministry program, Community Organizing and the Gabriel Fund, an emergency financial assistance program. These programs provide concrete, grass roots opportunities for congregations to partner with the greater community to address systemic barriers affecting community members living on the margins.
CHUM is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit human services agency sponsored and governed by 39 Duluth congregations. CHUM began in 1973 when ten Central Hillside congregations pooled resources to assist low-income people in Duluth.The organizational goals are to provide basic needs services for homeless and marginalized members of our community while working to effect changes which will eliminate the need for our services.
|Faith Lutheran Church at 1814 N 51st Ave. E.|
|120 N. 1st Ave West|
|Our Savior's Lutheran Church|
|at 4831 Grand Ave.|